Skyrim Spaceball 4000 FLX ,Microsoft Trackball Explorer

SpaceOrb drivers and software discussions
silentguy

Skyrim Spaceball 4000 FLX ,Microsoft Trackball Explorer

Post by silentguy » May 10 2012, 16:21 PM

I have found the ultimate gaming set up for Skyrim.

Spaceball 4000 FLX with OrbShield and a Microsoft Trackball Explorer

Also a reclining gaming chair.

Think of Lawnmower man chair, with 2 side tables, left hand side is Spaceball 4000, right hand side is Microsft Trackball Explorer.

No need to ever use the keyboard.
It is almost like driving a car with 2 stickshifts.

Very comfortable and ergonomic.

It requires a little bit of mapping keys in the Skyrim keyboard mappings and the OrbShield so that you can use all the spaceball 4000 keys.

The Microsft Trackball Explorer has 5 buttons and a scroll wheel, and it one of the best trackballs I have used.

Agent_13

Re: Skyrim Spaceball 4000 FLX ,Microsoft Trackball Explorer

Post by Agent_13 » June 01 2012, 2:49 AM

I was tinkering around with skyrim and my 4000 but Skyrim had the limitation of not being able to assign analog axises to movement ( forward, backward, Strafe L&R ). Did they fix that? I was able to get analog movement using a xbox360 controller emulator which let me use analog movement but at that point skyrim disables the mouse altogether. I really want to be able to use the mouse to look around, and the 4000 for true analog movement. These console ports have to go! I want my controls assignable again.

silentguy

Post by silentguy » August 09 2012, 17:40 PM

I mapped the WASD in Skyrim to the Spaceball 4000.

So I gues it's not true analog control as you are wanting.

I found that if I used "Always Run", the spaceball and trackball combination worked quite well.

My goal was to eliminate the keyboard, and I suceeded in that for almost every key press.
I could have used a couple more keys to map on the spaceball, but I was fine with what I had.

vputz

Post by vputz » August 10 2012, 19:01 PM

Right; blame Microsoft for removal of arbitrary axis mappings in favor of the simplified XInput system which only favors X-box keypads.

I wonder if there's something like XPadder which would map mouse movements to X-box controls; that may help...